Foodie Friday: Charro Beans with Chipotle Sausage
Chipotle-flavored sausage is in keeping with the recipe’s Tex-Mex roots, but it can be quite spicy. If you like less heat, try the recipe with a milder-flavored veg sausage.
- 1 cup dried pinto beans
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 Mexican chipotle-flavored grain meat sausages, such as Field Roast, cut into 1-inch rounds
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, for garnish
1. Place beans in large bowl, and cover with cold water. Let soak 4 hours, or overnight.
2. Drain beans, and place in large saucepan with 6 cups water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until tender but not soft. Do not drain.
3. Heat oil in separate large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and sausage, and sauté 3 to 5 minutes, or until vegetables are soft and translucent. Add garlic and chili powder, and cook 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes and beans (with cooking liquid); season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Uncover, and simmer 10 minutes more. Serve garnished with cilantro.
Per 1-cup serving: Calories: 400, Protein: 24g, Total fat: 14g, Saturated fat: 2g, Carbs: 47g, Cholesterol: mg, Sodium: 507mg, Fiber: 15g, Sugars: 10g